Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blogs I Commented On - Weeks 1 and 2

Week 1: 

Sherry’s Intro to Info Technology Blog

http://sherry-lis2600introinfotech.blogspot.com/2010/09/additional-notes-on-readings-week-1.html?showComment=1284131160527#c8980338253487029651

I can relate to your experiences with e-readers. I thought I would wait till I was done with this program to splurge on a Kindle, but my boss gave me one last year for my 20th service anniversary. I was so excited! I DO really love it (or I love the IDEA of it--the fact that I can have a whole library at my fingertips, if I wanted to), and I have downloaded and read a few books already on it. The freebies are nice, too. Mainly I've been using it to download "samples" of books I've read reviews on, and that I think I might like to read someday. It's a great way to see if a particular book is something you'd like. But you know what? I am still reading real books, too! Still, I feel I've found a happy medium between the Kindle and the old-fashioned book.

Christy Fic’s Blog

http://christyfic.blogspot.com/2010/09/reading-notes-week-1-aug-30-2010.html?showComment=1284129979970#c1081571614641109883

I liked your analogy between information technology trends and McDonald's fast food! And look what cheap fast food has done to us! I haven't read the book "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains" (by Nicholas Carr) yet, but it's on my "someday-when-I'm-done-with-this-program" list. From reviews I've read, though, I gather the author discusses how the Internet has made us distracted readers and samplers of information, while we are much more deeper thinkers and creative people when we read the printed word. So I wonder, if things continue the way they've been, what our society, our children, will be like in 50 years (or less). Perhaps our brains, as well as our bodies, will be obese, with no "muscle tone" to them to encourage critical thinking skills.



Week 2

Melissa’s Blog

http://maj66.blogspot.com/2010/09/wikipedia-articles.html?showComment=1284128548298#c99089415683600039

I worry, too, about the negative environmental impact technology creates. We're the same way in my household--have had multiple PCs, laptops, TVs, VHS/CD/DVD (in that order!) players, portable/cell phones, etc. over the course of the last twenty years. We try to hold out as long as we can upgrading and replacing, but eventually, time marches on and you have to fall in line behind everyone else. We bought a new HDTV last November, and we felt the minute it was delivered that it was obsolete. It was depressing. (And we STILL haven't figured out how to get it, the Blu-Ray, and the sound bar to hook in together!)

Did you know that you can take your old electronics to Best Buy, and they will--supposedly--recycle them. You give them $10 (for some reason), but they give you a $10 gift card for BB. (And you don't have to buy something first to do this.) We've taken several old TVs to the Bethel Park store (South Hills of Pittsburgh) this year.

I think I'm the only person at my gym that still carries around an old Classic 20GB (yeah, 20!) iPod. But it works just fine for me, and it's big enough to keep track of in my various bags and purses, so why replace it?


Rachel’s LIS 2600 Blog

http://millard2600.blogspot.com/2010/09/unit-2-computer-hardware-reading-notes.html?showComment=1284131937321#c766485778101233919

I am the same way--I'm fine with technology AS LONG AS IT WORKS! :) I have "rote-skill" computer knowledge mainly because I cannot seem to keep up with the changes! As soon as I am remotely comfortable with some aspect of technology, the world has moved on to the next generation of gadgets or hardware or software! I feel like I will always have a very superficial grasp of how it all works.

No comments:

Post a Comment